Improper medication use amounts to an expenditure of $200 billion annually and this money is not spent effectively. Surveys of the nations seniors reveal that up to 50% of all prescribed medications are not taken as recommended. Given that 81% of seniors are on at least one medication, doctors are blind to the actual medications most patients are taking correctly
- 42.6% of medications are not taken
- 1.5 million ADRs can be prevented annually with medication management
- 21.9% of medications taken by patients are not in their medication records
Physicians can never be certain if patients are taking their medications as prescribed. They are also often uncertain if they are taking other medications that may interfere with their prescription medications.
How it works?
Medication Compliance Testing takes away the guess work with a simple fingerstick blood test that confirms the medications a patient is taking, as well as others the doctor may be unaware of.
Using a blood sample, 90% of common prescription drugs can be ‘fingerprinted’ in the patient’s blood.The test definitively identifies 213 drugs and their metabolites. This includes over the counter medicines that can impact the safety of the patient as well add drug to drug interactions.
The lab developed test is CAP and CLIA validated and is performed on a dried plasma sample, enabling a definitive identification of both drugs and their metabolites.
The blood sample size is a single blood drop that is placed on a Plasma Collection card. The drop of blood sits for 3 minutes on the card before the top layer is peeled away, separating the red blood cells from the plasma. Once the sample has finished drying, it is ready to be mailed off to the lab.
Benefits to the Provider
- The testing enables ‘truth telling’ for what medications the patient is actually taking.
- The sample is easily collected by a simple finger prick
- Helps reduce liability
- Provides a continuum of care to the patient
- No prep work
- Aids in Medication Reconciliation and Management
- Reduced risk of ADR with improved information and transparency
- Provides easy to read and actionable information
This solution is ideally suited to Primary Care and Internal Medicine practititioners and a wide range of specialties including OB/GYN, Cardiology, Pain Management, Neurology, Addiction Treatment Centers and more.
What Patients can Benefit?
- Anyone with poor medication adherence
- Any patient on 5 or more medications
- Those with 2 or more doctor
- Those with uncontrolled diabetes or CVD despite proven efficacy of medications
- Patients presenting with drug related adverse events such as delerium or muscle pain
- Any patient with 2 or more chronic disease states
- Subsctance abuse patients
How Do I Get Started?
1) Request a New Account form
2) Complete the information and return to your representative
3) Kits mailed to office including requisition forms, supply orders and collection kits
4) Watch the collection and shipping instruction video
5)Start collecting samples and send to lab
6) Reports provided back to the practice via lab portal.
Medication Compliance Testing helps alleviate physcian liabilty when it comes to medication compliance and misadventure. Definitive testing provides accurate information on up to 90% of commonly used medications with a simple finger prick test with results provided in an easy to read and actionable report. Getting started is simple.
To find out more please complete your information in the form below and request Medication Compliance information.